Thursday, November 13, 2008

Public Transport


I had to attend a meeting in Century City this week.  Since the meeting was to start at 8:00 am and last all day I was a bit concerned about the traffic.  I hated the thought of sitting in stop and go traffic for two hours in the afternoon, so I checked out the train (Metrorail) and found that it would get me to LA in good time.  I then found that the only way to get from there to Century City was by bus.  So being adventurous I thought why not give it a try.  The train ride to LA was lots of fun.  It was a double decker car so I rode on top so I could see what we were passing by.  
When we got to LA I went to the corner to wait for my bus.  I was sure I was in the right place but the bus number wasn't on the sign so I started to get a little nervous when the big red bus pulled up.  It was there the adventure began and I started to realize why I drive.  The ride was bumpy and as the bus went along it began to fill up with an interesting mix of the working poor and a group of students on their way to high school.  
I got to me meeting on time and then it was back to the bus for the ride home.  Again it filled with the working poor and more students.  I sat across from a young Hispanic couple who sat arm in arm and laughed as they talked.  It was nice to see the tenderness between them.  There was also a rough looking young man who looked as though he had been through more than his share of fights, but as he got off I noticed his backpack had a City College of LA logo on it.  I imagine that there were lots of interesting stories on that bus.
The ride home on the train wasn't nearly as much fun as it had been in the morning.  No real excitement, just a long day and I was glad to be home.

3 comments:

Cam and Chelle said...

Wow! GO Dad! You're way too brave... I lock my doors when I hit the Colfax exit to pick up Cam from school!

Julie said...

Congrats Dad! That sounds like a blast! I'm glad you gave a shot at being "green". :)

Dan Olsen said...

I have had some adventures on my bus rides. I actually like riding the bus more then driving. I can do things that interest me more then sitting behind the wheel.